Photo Image: Urban Outfitters
Generic shower curtains are a dime a dozen at Macy’s, Bed Bath & Beyond and Target, right?
Here’s a little secret: Buy a full sized flat sheet with a snazzy graphic design and convert it into a custom shower curtain for your re-decorated bathroom.
Photo Image: CB2
Standard sized shower curtains measure approximately 72″ x 72″. If you purchase upholstery or apparel fabric, you’ll have to buy at least 4 1/2 yards, and your choices of fabric may be limited.
However, you can easily cut down a flat sheet, hem the sides, top, and bottom, add grommets and you’ll have a knock-out shower curtain in no time.
This is how you use a full sized flat sheet to make a 72″ x 72″ shower curtain. Be sure to measure your own shower to determine what size sheet you’ll need to use.
Here’s what you do:
1. Take a nicely designed flat sheet that measures approximately 81″ x 96″
2. Cut 9″ off of each side so that the cut width is now 78″ (make sure the design is centered)
3. Fold each side over 1″ and press, fold over again 2″, press and stitch
4. Now fold the bottom edge over 2″ and press. Fold over again 3″, press and stitch
5. Fold the top edge over 1 1/2″ and press, fold over again 2 1/2″ and press and stitch
6. You will be installing 12 grommet across the top of the shower curtain.
7. With a marker, measure in 1″ from each edge and then every 7″ inches for grommet placement
8. Install grommets 2″ down from the top, folded edge.
See how to install grommets right here with a Ten Minute Grommet Workshop